In general, physicians agree that 6-month-old infants are ready to be introduced with solid foods as complementary foods of breast milk (MPASI). At 6 months of age, the baby’s digestive system is ready to prepare solid foods.
A 6-month-old baby likes to sit on the floor and try different body positions, and see the surroundings. Compared to 5-month-old infants, 6 months of infant weight is on the rise. Infants generally weigh 6.4-9.7 kg with a length of about 63-71 cm. Meanwhile, baby girls weigh about 5.8-9 kg with length 61.5-70 cm.
6 months baby’s legs can support some weight. Help him to stand on your lap or floor by holding both armpits of the baby. The strength of leg and arm muscles is very instrumental for the next stage, which is crawling. You can help train muscle strength by placing toys around it for him to reach.
In addition, 6-month-old infants are generally able to do the following:
- Fond of dropping anything on the floor to pay attention to the sound that will be caused.
- The muscles of his arms and neck are already strong, making the baby 6 months begin to crawl. Some babies initially crawl backwards, then afterwards can crawl forward. No need to worry as long as he looks eager to explore the surroundings.
- He can easily lift the object with one hand and move it into the other.
- Baby 6 months getting interested in detail or small objects. Watch your Little while playing, make sure he does not put the small objects into his mouth, to avoid choking.
- Can roll the body forward and backward.
- Since 6 months baby can move everywhere, it will require better monitoring. As much as possible do not leave him alone without supervision.
In general, 6-month-old babies can chatter by combining consonants and vowels such as’ ba ‘,’ ah, or ‘ma’. But do not be too worried if at the age of 6 months of this baby is not fond of babbling.
His motor skills and understanding of language are faster than speech, but he can use body language to communicate. A 6-month baby can also point to something you want, shake your head if you do not agree, or wave to someone else, even if you can not say what he or she means.
Reading a fairy tale to a baby and letting him take note of interesting pictures in the book will make his language skills grow better. She will also grow to be a love child to the book. Little is not going to notice or patiently listening to you read the story, but he will be happy to pay attention to color and pictures, even if only briefly.
Besides singing can also be a means to improve his ability to speak and feel. In fact, music without any lyrics can bring good benefits for baby’s brain development.
At this time, interaction ability will experience the following developments:
- If previously he was still reluctant to respond or fear of the presence of new faces, at the age of 6 months could be he will become more open and respond to smiles and invitations others to joke. He can instantly be familiar with people he finds interesting.
- He will try to attract your attention, either by the action that pleases you or not. At the present age, you can already begin to teach which actions are good and bad.
- Crying is no longer the only way to show expression and attract other people’s attention. He can already yell, pound, drop things to make a noise, or use a lot of other ways.
- Nice to play with parents and close relatives.
- Nice to see the reflection of yourself on the mirror.
- Can recognize the face of parents and relatives that he often encounters. So can also recognize the face of a stranger.
- Can respond to the expression others show.
- Responds when the name is called and responds to the sound by voice as well.
Other Things to Look For
A 6-month-old baby starts eating solid foods as an acid, so your baby’s stool will change color and become smelly. Give more fruits and vegetables if the stool is so hard that the baby is not difficult bowel movements. Small cut food or finger food can be an option. These foods can be potatoes cut, banana, cheese, and other fresh food that he can hold and put into the mouth easily.
Instant or packaged baby foods are practical, but they may contain excess salt or sugar and preservatives. Better to process your own fresh foods at home, such as fruits and vegetables. Make sure all the food is clean, it has also been boiled or steamed until cooked so that the food is not hard and can easily be swallowed baby whose teeth have not fully grown.
During the move, 6-month-old baby who is already active in need of clothes that are more comfortable, such as cotton that absorbs sweat, not tight and not too loose. Avoid clothes with straps, ties, buttons, and too many other details that can be harmful.
At this age, you also can observe whether the dominant baby using the right or left hand. However, this new trend will really look after he was 2-3 years old.
Consult a Doctor
The development of each baby is different so do not worry too much if your baby has not shown all the abilities as above. Even so, it’s good to check your Little to the doctor if:
- Can not hold his head upright.
- Invisible can express affection to a close person.
- Can not sit alone.
- Can not reach the object.
- Does not respond to the smiles of others or the sounds around them.
- His body looks stiff and muscle tight, or otherwise look limp like a doll.
- Do not say any vocabulary like ‘oh’ or ‘ah’.
- Can not roll her body in the opposite direction.
- Can not insert object into his mouth.
Baby 6 months love to play, especially with all the things that can make noise. Any object can actually attract his attention, such as the sound of water from the tap that filled the bucket or the sound of a used tin that was beaten. If you want to buy a toy, make sure you buy the toys according to the baby’s age.
You can also provide a teether or toy that is safe for 6 months baby bitten. Do not forget to keep the toy clean by washing it every day. In addition you can use different types of fabric with a variety of surfaces, which can be the base for the place to play.